Take a look inside this castle in Holt - for sale for £3m
- Credit: Archant
Property editor Caroline Culot never imagined she would find a 'castle' right in the centre of Holt but it and a cluster of adjoining properties are now for sale with Strutt & Parker.
I bet you never realised that right opposite the entrance to Gresham's in Holt, there is a house called the Castle because, with its parapet and turrets, it has been designed to look like exactly that.
The property which is the centrepiece of six homes currently for sale known as The Grove dates to the early 19th century and has been built using knapped and pebble flintwork but with an embattled parapet and mock corner turrets together with Gothic windows to create quite a stunning exterior.
It was owned by the school and used for training purposes and not much history is known. Typically, castellated architecture was a status symbol to signify wealth and importance and often the detail is only on the front facade - in this case it is carried through to both the front and rear with an elevated front wing which makes me think this was actually the front entrance at one time.
The current owner, a lady who hails from Nottingham, fell in love with it when she visited on holiday. She worked in foster care and her partner in IT and they bought the Grove in 2012 and took a year to restore and renovate it, turning it and its adjoining buildings into a lovely holiday home complex which sleeps in total, up to 36 people.
You may also want to watch:
It would be easy to live in the main house and operate the others as holiday lets but currently the Castle sleeps up to eight guests and is the focal point of the complex.
Inside is a gorgeous hallway with an original sweeping staircase and the front reception with a large floor to ceiling Gothic window looking out over the gardens.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 9 Homes evacuated in village after man threatens criminal damage
- 10 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
There is a huge kitchen where you could almost seat the entire town of Holt for dinner and there are four bedrooms.
Then there is the Keep, in the central courtyard adjacent to the Castle, which is a large four bedroom house, the Gatehouse, a detached four bedroom house, the Stables, a two bedroom conversion from a stable block within the courtyard adjoining the Castle.
There is also the Tower which sleeps two and links through to the Castle and the Bailey, a two bedroom apartment.
All the properties have been refurbished by the owner and outside is an all weather tennis court and a woodland play area as well as lots of parking and lawns at the rear.
• The Grove, Holt is for sale as a whole for offers in the region of £3million with Strutt & Parker or available for sale individually for prices ranging from £300,000 to £1million. Contact Strutt & Parker on 01603 617431.