Take a look inside The Old Hall in north Norfolk - for sale at £785,000
- Credit: Archant
Property editor Caroline Culot visited The Old Hall, Edingthorpe, for sale for £785,000 with Savills.
One of the most stunning features of this late 16th-early 17th country house is of course its impressive knapped flint front exterior with brick quoins under a pantile roof.
It's architecturally quite stunning and I loved the detail, still so evident and well preserved such as the hooded mouldings running across the roof line like intricate lacework - all making this a house that welcomes you home rather nicely after a tough day in the office.
Louis de Soissons, head of country homes from Savills, gave me the grand tour and his enthusiasm is always so infectious. Interestingly, he has actually sold this house twice before - the first time being in the late 1980s when he was first at Savills in Norwich so he is delighted to be selling it for a third time.
He makes the point that this is a large house, perfect for a family, with not too much land (which seems to be what people prefer now) but with lots of original features.
You may also want to watch:
Particularly stunning is the top floor with the beams and trusses and those fantastic shaped doors which really are rather novel. This top floor is ideal for a children's lair or as a study.
Going back downstairs (and there is a main staircase and a very windy back staircase) takes you to five bedrooms and two bathrooms as well as two shower rooms with, on the ground floor, a super drawing room and sitting room as well as a separate dining room. At one end is a kitchen with an Aga and there is scope, in my opinion, to perhaps extend the kitchen or even move it completely although it is perfectly adequate as it is.
- 1 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 2 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 5 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 Linnets turn down £100,000 bid for midfielder
- 8 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 9 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
However, what you can be sure of is that much of the hard work in converting this home has been done because it was the subject of a complete programme of renovation in the late 1980s when it was beautifully restored.
Outside you have a separate coach house annexe which has a bedroom, kitchen, shower room and small kitchen - which could be let or used for teenagers or relatives.
This is a wonderful family house in a great location, close to the north Norfolk coast yet in easy commuter distance of the city too.
• The Old Hall, Edingthorpe is for sale for £785,000 with Savills on 01603 229229