Take a look inside The Old Hall in north Norfolk - for sale at £785,000
- Credit: Archant
Property editor Caroline Culot visited The Old Hall, Edingthorpe, for sale for £785,000 with Savills.
One of the most stunning features of this late 16th-early 17th country house is of course its impressive knapped flint front exterior with brick quoins under a pantile roof.
It's architecturally quite stunning and I loved the detail, still so evident and well preserved such as the hooded mouldings running across the roof line like intricate lacework - all making this a house that welcomes you home rather nicely after a tough day in the office.
Louis de Soissons, head of country homes from Savills, gave me the grand tour and his enthusiasm is always so infectious. Interestingly, he has actually sold this house twice before - the first time being in the late 1980s when he was first at Savills in Norwich so he is delighted to be selling it for a third time.
He makes the point that this is a large house, perfect for a family, with not too much land (which seems to be what people prefer now) but with lots of original features.
Particularly stunning is the top floor with the beams and trusses and those fantastic shaped doors which really are rather novel. This top floor is ideal for a children's lair or as a study.
Going back downstairs (and there is a main staircase and a very windy back staircase) takes you to five bedrooms and two bathrooms as well as two shower rooms with, on the ground floor, a super drawing room and sitting room as well as a separate dining room. At one end is a kitchen with an Aga and there is scope, in my opinion, to perhaps extend the kitchen or even move it completely although it is perfectly adequate as it is.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 3 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 4 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 5 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 6 All of the Norfolk streets that won the Postcode Lottery in June
- 7 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 8 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
- 9 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 10 Farmers could be paid to leave fields fallow to end homes limbo
However, what you can be sure of is that much of the hard work in converting this home has been done because it was the subject of a complete programme of renovation in the late 1980s when it was beautifully restored.
Outside you have a separate coach house annexe which has a bedroom, kitchen, shower room and small kitchen - which could be let or used for teenagers or relatives.
This is a wonderful family house in a great location, close to the north Norfolk coast yet in easy commuter distance of the city too.
• The Old Hall, Edingthorpe is for sale for £785,000 with Savills on 01603 229229