Manor House in Fakenham could be yours for £699,950
- Credit: Archant
You might not know it, but Fakenham boasts a manor house tucked away with palatial walled gardens - all in walking distance of the town - and it could be yours for £699,950.
Imagine being able to walk to the races. And you can certainly live in style at this really handsome period home which has Regency features and the most glorious walled garden.
The property was once a residential home in the late Victorian, early Edwardian period and the owners have a lovely old photograph of all the nurses, in their long skirts and white, long sleeved blouses, nipped in at the waist, standing outside the house in the garden.
The older, more austere looking matrons are seated at the front with the younger, much prettier nurses standing behind them. In the window of the house, you can just make out in the distance, a maid peering out, probably distracted from her duties by the commotion of the photograph being taken.
This is a really warm and inviting house; I was made to feel very welcome and it was such a shame I couldn't stay longer as I visited on a sunny day and the gardens were just so appealing.
You may also want to watch:
There is a wisteria climbing across one wall which must look spectacular when in bloom and there is also a magnolia tree and a pretty courtyard area perfect for enjoying morning coffee.
The house actually also boasts an attached ground floor annexe which is very roomy and could be let out as it has large rooms with high ceilings - or it could make the ideal office if you need to work from home.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 10 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
It is thought the nurses probably had this part of the building as their bedrooms and you could easily incorporate the rooms into the main house if you wanted.
The main house boasts many original features including lots of fireplaces both upstairs and down. Off a hallway are the principal reception rooms; a very lovely and sunny drawing room and a separate dining room as well as a good sized kitchen which has been recently re-fitted.
You also have the benefit of original windows and working shutters. There is a very pretty cantilevered staircase and upstairs, four bedrooms.
This is a lovely house, much loved by its owners, and a real treasure which is hidden away.
• Jackson-Stops & Staff can be contacted on 01603 612333 or 01328 801333