Johnny Depp gets warm welcome to Norwich - after fictitious claim he is moving to city
- Credit: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
A spoof website which claimed Hollywood actor Johnny Depp was on the brink of moving to Norwich has sparked scores of people to welcome the Pirates of the Caribbean star to the city.
Daily News 11, which admits it is a 'fantasy news site', claimed the 52-year-old had used an interview to reveal his intentions to swap his Los Angeles lifestyle for the delights of Norfolk.
While the story, with its quotes that Mr Depp wanted to 'just live in a place full of real, genuine people' was utter fiction, more than 600 people commented on it - many of them welcoming the Edward Scissorhands star to Norfolk.
Hayley Kerrison-Wright commented: 'House next door to me is for sale. I'd love to have him as my neighbour - invite him round for a BBQ in summer, roast dinner in winter. We could share fireworks on bonfire night and I'd feed his cat when he goes on holiday lol'
Kate Peters wrote: 'Norfolk in General is a wonderful place! Whenever I go around the world it is always a pleasure to return to Norwich. It has integrity, culture and progressive. Norwich also voted the most non religious city in UK. Great move J just don't bring the LA cronies by accident. We too, like real people!! x'
You may also want to watch:
Paul Madden said: 'We would welcome Johnny Depp & his family with open arms, & be very proud that such a brilliant actor would chose Norwich & surrounding area to live, I know im bias, I was born in Norwich & have lived in Norfolk all my life- such a diverse county, A great friendly city,'
David Lewis wrote: 'He would be made very welcome in our FINE CITY , just hope he signs up as a Norwich City football club fan. He can come down to the pub for a couple of pints of beer with us anytime.'
Even Norfolk county councillor Steve Morphew chipped in, suggesting Mr Depp might want to head to The Murderers pub for blues night on Thursdays. While the story about the Sweeney Todd star's move was made up, rumours have long linked him to a Norfolk move and the actor did once buy a bath from a Norwich shop. Click here to find out more.
And in 2012, the Evening News ran an April Fool about Mr Depp moving to Norwich's Golden Triangle.
- 1 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 4 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 5 Local pub splashes back into action
- 6 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 7 Man died after knife fight with housemate
- 8 Norwich pub allowed to reopen after licensing u-turn
- 9 Roadworks cause traffic chaos in north Norfolk town
- 10 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down