Work starts on £2 million project delivering ‘quality and new affordable homes’ to town
- Credit: Archant
Work has started on the construction of 16 new homes as part of a £2 million project.
The new homes being developed in Halesworth will be made available for affordable rent.
With the £2 million project due for completion in the autumn next year, Orwell Housing Association assistant director of development Greg Dodds joined Paul Pitcher, managing director of Lowestoft-based constructor Wellington, to cut the first sod at the site of the homes to be built on Fairview Road in the town.
Seven two-bedroom houses, five three-bedroom houses and four one-bedroom flats will be built on the site, along with parking and a new, three metre wide combined footpath and cycleway along Norwich Road and Fairview Road.
Mr Dodds said: "We are delighted to be working once again with Wellington on this project.
You may also want to watch:
"This builds further on the good working relationship we have with Wellington following a successful completion of similar projects in the area.
"The 16 new builds will provide some much needed quality and affordable homes to rent in the area."
- 1 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 4 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 5 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 6 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 7 Local pub splashes back into action
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 10 High school pupils isolating after positive Covid-19 test
The new homes are being built by Lowestoft-based contractor Wellington, which has a long and proven track record of delivering affordable homes for housing associations and local authorities in the region.
Wellington managing director Mr Pitcher said: "We are delighted to be working with Orwell once again, and to be creating 16 much-needed new affordable homes in Halesworth.
"We identified a real opportunity to deliver affordable homes on this site after the land was introduced to us.
"The Halesworth Town Plan identified affordable housing as a 'Big Issue' in the town, and recommended that high priority be given to building more affordable homes. "We are pleased to be playing an active role in bringing that to reality.
"As a locally-based firm, we take great pride in building top quality affordable homes in the area, and we have done so at many sites across Norfolk and Suffolk."
Mr Pitcher added: "Not only is this providing much needed homes for local people, but it is also creating employment for local people as well."