Campaigners celebrate after application for 3G phone mast in Thorpe St Andrew is turned down
Campaigners are celebrating after seeing a planning application for a telecommunications mast in a conservation area refused.
Telefonica UK had applied for a 17.5m 3G antenna to supply the O2 and Vodafone mobile phone networks to be erected on land to the north of the Oaklands Hotel, in Yarmouth Road.
But 125 letters of objection were received from surrounding residents, concerned about the potential impact on the skyline, wildlife and the health of children at nearby Hillside Avenue School.
Planning officers said the 'minimal' landscape impact would not be sufficient to warrant a refusal but Broadland District Council's planning committee refused the application on Wednesday, deciding it would be 'visually detrimental to the outlook of neighbouring properties and not in keeping with the nature of the conservation area.'
Kim Davis-Claydon, district councillor for Thorpe St Andrew South East, attended the meeting.
She said she was also pleased with the decision but realises there is a need for 3G coverage in Thorpe and hopes any future applications will consult with local people to find an appropriate place.
Mrs Davis Claydon said: 'South Avenue and Stanmore Road are beautiful areas and can be seen from as far away as Whitlingham, so sticking a phone mast the equivalent of a six-storey building in the middle would not be a good idea.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 8 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
'I just wish these applicants would work with us because we can find places to put these masts, rather than making these applications in the most stupid places.'
- Have you got a Thorpe St Andrew story? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com