Meet the Miss Norwich finalists
- Credit: Archant
Angie Beasley, Miss England director and organiser of the Miss Norwich and district contest, explains what will be happening on the night.
The Miss Norwich & District competition is being held at the Norwich City Football Club, Carrow Road, on Friday May 22 alongside the Miss Ipswich and District final.
The event is being held as an eco-style fashion show, with all the contestants sourcing an outfit that they can either make or buy from a charity shop or loan from their mum or grandma.
We first introduced the eco-round into Miss England in 2008, and since then it's become one of the favourite rounds in the competition. It certainly brings out the creative side of the contestants in the competition, and some of the outfits the girls create are wonderful and stylish – but made from rubbish!
Last year's national winner of the round was the girl who went on to win Miss England, Carina Tyrrell, who re-created the Audrey Hepburn My Fair Lady outfit. Carina made the outfit from an old wedding dress she bought from Oxfam and then made a hat from a lampshade!
This year's winner will need to be a good role model in her community and want to raise the profile of charities, such as the Miss World Charity www.beautywithapurpose.com, which has raised millions of pounds around the world for disadvantaged children from funds raised by the contestants.
In the last five years, Miss England events around the country have raised in excess of £1 million and we hope that both Miss Norwich and Miss Ipswich can both continue to support YOPEY, the charity partner with this competition.
The reigning Mr England, Jordan Williams, will be hosting the event at Carrow Road and will be entertaining the ladies with his Michael Bublé tribute act.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 4 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 5 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 6 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 7 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 8 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 9 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 10 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
We wish all the contestants in the competition the very best of luck and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the event on May 22.
Anyone interested in coming to support the girls and watch the fashion show and Jordan perform can attend.
Tickets, including the show, entertainment and a buffet are £30 available from the Miss England office by calling 01162 440479. The event starts at 7pm.