Meet the Miss Norwich finalists
- Credit: Archant
Angie Beasley, Miss England director and organiser of the Miss Norwich and district contest, explains what will be happening on the night.
The Miss Norwich & District competition is being held at the Norwich City Football Club, Carrow Road, on Friday May 22 alongside the Miss Ipswich and District final.
The event is being held as an eco-style fashion show, with all the contestants sourcing an outfit that they can either make or buy from a charity shop or loan from their mum or grandma.
We first introduced the eco-round into Miss England in 2008, and since then it's become one of the favourite rounds in the competition. It certainly brings out the creative side of the contestants in the competition, and some of the outfits the girls create are wonderful and stylish – but made from rubbish!
Last year's national winner of the round was the girl who went on to win Miss England, Carina Tyrrell, who re-created the Audrey Hepburn My Fair Lady outfit. Carina made the outfit from an old wedding dress she bought from Oxfam and then made a hat from a lampshade!
This year's winner will need to be a good role model in her community and want to raise the profile of charities, such as the Miss World Charity www.beautywithapurpose.com, which has raised millions of pounds around the world for disadvantaged children from funds raised by the contestants.
You may also want to watch:
In the last five years, Miss England events around the country have raised in excess of £1 million and we hope that both Miss Norwich and Miss Ipswich can both continue to support YOPEY, the charity partner with this competition.
The reigning Mr England, Jordan Williams, will be hosting the event at Carrow Road and will be entertaining the ladies with his Michael Bublé tribute act.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
We wish all the contestants in the competition the very best of luck and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the event on May 22.
Anyone interested in coming to support the girls and watch the fashion show and Jordan perform can attend.
Tickets, including the show, entertainment and a buffet are £30 available from the Miss England office by calling 01162 440479. The event starts at 7pm.