Top design award for Costessey building
A new community centre on the outskirts of Norwich has been named one of the winners in South Norfolk Council's 10th annual design awards.
The innovative Costessey Centre won best new building and the renovated Pennoyer's Centre in Pulham topped the conservation category.
Councillor Martin Wynne, former chairman of the council's planning committee and design champion, who led the judging panel, said: 'These two buildings really epitomise what these awards are about. Both are exceptionally well designed, finished to an excellent standard and make the most of sustainable building techniques and energy saving methods.
'The architects have created superb public spaces and both buildings are distinctive focal points within their communities. 'They show ingenuity, creativity and are an inspiration to anyone looking to build something new or take on a conservation project. I am delighted we can recognise and reward the people who developed these impressive buildings.'
Planners, councillors, architects, builders and clients, past and present, gathered at the council's Long Stratton headquarters on Friday (November 26) to congratulate the winners.
You may also want to watch:
Over the past decade, the council has recognised and awarded 50 different schemes.
Easton College received a Special Sustainability Award for its new teaching block - Jubilee 3, while Becket's Cottage in the heart of Wymondham's conservation area was also highly commended for a sympathetic extension.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault