Street changed from houses for gentlemen to city clubland
- Credit: EDP Library
Prince of Wales Road has significantly changed over the years, seeing many businesses come and go. These photos take a look at just how much it has evolved over the past 100 years.
2. Looking down the road from Agricultural Hall Plain, dated March 22, 1960.
3. In the background on the left of the photograph the Great Eastern Hotel can be seen. This was replaced by the Hotel Nelson. In the foreground, where the builders lorry is, was the Norvic (formerly the Electric) Cinema. In the triangle of roads there were underground public conveniences – again no longer in existence – dated June 15, 1962.
4. The Great Eastern Hotel at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road/Foundry Bridge, dated October 7, 1963.
5. In this photo it can be seen that the traffic travelled, at that time, in both directions. Taken at the junction by the Royal Hotel, this is dated August 19, 1964.
6. Traffic on December 1, 1965.
7. A very quiet Prince of Wales Road, dated November 29, 1966.
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 3 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 4 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 5 Mum trying to find lost 'heart' of daughter who died days after birthday
- 6 North Norfolk glamping site named among best in the UK
- 7 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 8 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 9 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
- 10 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
8. Gale and Galey's shop is on the left of the picture. Gale and Galeys were a hardware and builders store and they also specialised in fireplaces and fittings. This is dated November 19, 1976.
9. Cars queueing in September 1980.
10. This is the view on March 26, 1985.
11. Prince of Wales Road, dated May 17, 1988.
12. Foundry Bridge, with Hotel Nelson on the left hand side, in March 1985.
13. Prince of Wales had a new road layout in 2003.
14. The road in 2006.
Things have changed a lot since its early days.
If you would like to give us any further information about any of the photos then please email firstname.lastname@example.org