Sheringham church to close for vital refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
A seaside church will be closed for up to two months from this week for the final phase of a £150,000-plus renovation programme.
The Sheringham Parish Church scheme is aimed at protecting the 117-year-old St Peter's building from the elements.
Services will be held in the church hall until work is finished on the three-year scheme, which has been paid for with a legacy from former verger Malcolm Harrison.
Churchwarden David Rivett, who is chairman of St Peter's fabric committee, said that, because the final phase of the project involved putting up scaffolding at both ends of the church, it was necessary to close the building until work is completed.
He said: 'St Peter's is a beautiful, community church which is not just for services; it is a meeting place and a place for concerts and events and it is important that we preserve the building for the future.'
You may also want to watch:
The church organ, whose pipes stretch up to 25ft high in places, will be protected with polythene sheeting fixed to batons, before crumbling, dried-out plaster is stripped off and sealed with limewash.
Norwich-based church renovation specialists G F Atthowe began work on the project in 2011.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 3 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 'Life begins at 70' says former TV star as she releases her new novel
- 8 Farke on his contract situation at City
- 9 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 10 'We loved our East Anglian holiday so much - we bought the company'
It is hoped the repairs will be finished in six weeks, weather permitting.
Church activities, including the Noah's Ark parent and toddler group and Little Stars children's church group will continue in the church hall, which will also host three services on Sundays, as well as an 11am communion on Thursdays.
Do you have a church renovation story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.