See Norfolk seafaring charity Rescue Wooden Boats vessels at Stiffkey open day
- Credit: Archant
A charity dedicated to preserving north Norfolk's maritime heritage is restoring another vessel.
Rescue Wooden Boats is carrying out a refit of the Wells whelker Harvester, before she returns to the water.
She was built more than 60 years ago, to land shellfish from along the coast.
Rescue Wooden Boats trustee Henry Faire said: 'She's in very good nick. She was originally built in Sheringham, in 1951, for Sid 'Custard' Cooper and would have worked as a Wells whelker.
'At some point over the last 10 or 15 years, she was aquired by Graham Peart and she was done up by David Hewitt.'
You may also want to watch:
Harvester is currently undergoing a refit at Mr Hewitt's boatyard next to the Rescue Wooden Boats visitor centre, at Stiffkey.
'We hope to put her back into use,' said Mr Faire. 'We'd hope to find some people - a family, ideally - who'd use her in return for a contribution towards her upkeep.'
- 1 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 2 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 5 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 6 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 7 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 8 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
Both Harvester and restored former lifeboat Lucy Lavers will both be on show at an open day being held over the weekend of November 28 - 29 (10am - 4pm) at the Stiffkey centre.
There will also be an exhibiton of paintings by the late Wells fisherman and artist Jack Cox from a private collection, screenings of a film about Lucy Lavers's historic return to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuation and an end of season sale.
Lucy Lavers is set to feature on ITV's Countrywise programme on Monday, November 16 (8pm).
For more information on the charity, click here.