Parade in King’s Lynn today to mark RAF Marham centenary
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press, Archant
Visitors to today's celebrations can also view an exhibition at the Stories of Lynn about the airbase's relationship with the town.
Personnel from RAF Marham will mark their Freedom of the Borough status with a parade through the historic town centre, starting at the Tuesday Market Place from noon. There will be a Tornado flypast to mark the start of the event.
The team behind the Stories of Lynn project at the town hall has also put together a temporary exhibition as part of the commemorations.
Danya Woolbright, assistant curator at Lynn Museum, said: 'We're saving this particular space for more community-focused projects.
'Marham and King's Lynn have a very special relationship that is important to celebrate alongside the other events that are happening alongside the centenary celebrations.'
You may also want to watch:
Among the objects and information displayed is a quote from the Queen Mother written in 1976 about RAF Marham and King's Lynn 'through two world wars and in times of peace'.
In 1976, the prestigious accolade of Freedom of King's Lynn was granted to the airbase, giving the serving airmen and women the right to bear arms and march through the town with a marching band.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 4 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
Five years later, in 1981, it was handed a second award, Freedom of the Borough of King's Lynn and West Norfolk.
The exhibition also displays gifts, including a silver plate handed to King's Lynn after RAF Marham was awarded the accolades.
Are you organising an event to celebrate RAF Marham's centenary? Email firstname.lastname@example.org