One of the world’s foremost knot experts to lecture in King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
Des Pawson was awarded an MBE in 2007 for his services to the rope industry.
He will speak at The Second Pat Midgley Memorial Lecture, in memory of the driving force behind True's Yard Fisherfolk Museum in the town.
Mr Pawson said: 'Knots were the building blocks of civilisation and their significance tends to be overlooked.
'Historically, for example, the 'Monkey's Fist' had a very positive meaning to a sailor. It is a single chord wound into a tight sphere at the very end; the design added weight to the end of the heaving line.
'When a ship came to shore, the sailor would throw the line and that knot would be his first connection to land. It would also be thrown to a vessel if another ship was in distress at sea. Knots had important meanings for these men. '
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pawson's talk 'For Sailor, Rigger and Sailmaker' will include demonstrations of traditional tools used in knot making.
Dr Paul Richards, chairman of the Trustees at True's Yard, said: 'Pat's dedication was instrumental to True's Yard. She loved education and research, and the annual lecture helps keep her memory alive.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
- The Second Pat Midgley Memorial Lecture will take place at the Town Hall in King's Lynn on Thursday (April 9) from 7pm. Tickets are £4. For more information contact True's Yard on 01553 770479.
- Do you have a traditional hobby? Email email@example.com