Nostalgic photos capturing Norfolk’s trams through the decades
- Credit: Archant
Trams were once a familiar sight in Norfolk. We scoured the archives to find some photos of trams around the county.
As these photos show, for many years they weaved their way along Castle Meadow and Orford Place, past the Guildhall, and through many other city streets such as Dereham Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Magdalen Street.
The tram network was developed under the impetus of town clerk George Butler Kennett and the supervision of architect George Skipper. It was installed from 1899 and had the most dramatic impact on the city's streetscape since its development after the Norman Conquest. More than 17 metres of tracks were laid originally and a terminus constructed at Orford Place with a depot at Silver Road. The tram network ran for 35 years, from July 30 1900 until December 10 1935.
As well as being a popular mode of transport in Norwich, trams were also used in other parts of Norfolk and Suffolk including Wisbech, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 3 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 7 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
- 8 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 9 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 10 Former Norwich City coach moves on again - after just three months