Norwich grandfather to receive Royal Maundy money from the Queen at York Minster
A clergyman from Old Catton is set to be one of just 172 men and women from around the country to receive Maundy money from the Queen.
The Rev Terry Patient, honorary assistant priest at St Margaret's Church, was nominated to represent the Norfolk diocese in the Royal Maundy Service at York by the Bishop of Norwich, the Rt Rev Graham James.
Tomorrow's special service will see 86 women and 86 men – one for each of the Queen's 86 years – each receive two purses, one red and one white.
The red purse will contain a �5 coin commemorating The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and a 50p coin.
Both coins have been minted in 2012. The white purse will contain uniquely minted Maundy money. It will take the form of silver one, two, three and four penny pieces, the sum of which equals the Queen's age.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Patient, 76, who has been involved in the church for 60 years, said he was 'humbled' to be nominated.
The married grandfather, who used to be the headteacher at Lodge Lane Infant School and was ordained at Norwich Cathedral, said: 'It will be an experience. It will be the biggest service I've ever been involved in.'
- 1 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 2 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 6 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 9 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
To mark Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee, tomorrow's recipients for the Royal Maundy money have been chosen from every diocese in Britain.
The Queen will be accompanied at York Minster by The Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Beatrice of York.
Are you holding a special event for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email as below.