New images of how Norwich Castle could be transformed in £13.5m project
- Credit: FEILDEN+MAWSON LLP
New images have been revealed of what Norwich Castle could look like after an ambitious £13.5m transformation project.
The illustrations for the Norwich Castle: Gateway to Medieval England project have been revealed as Norfolk Museums Service has submitted a planning and listed building consent application to Norwich City Council for permission to alter the inside of the keep and transform the visitor experience at the historic landmark.
A key part of the project will be to restore the keep back to how it was in the days of the Norman kings when it was a medieval royal palace.
The proposals include reinstating the keep's principal Norman floor so that the great hall, kitchen, king's chamber and chapel can be recreated.
There are also plans for a new medieval gallery, created in partnership with the British Museum, that will showcase national and local medieval treasures. New lifts and a bridge-link will ensure the castle is fully accessible on all five levels, including a new roof viewing platform.
You may also want to watch:
The existing entrance will be transformed and a new schools entrance will be created, and a new atrium will offer previously unseen views of the exterior of the keep from inside the museum.
There will be new creative digital and learning spaces as well as a new cafe, shop and toilet facilities.
- 1 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 2 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 3 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 4 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 7 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 8 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 9 Farke on his contract situation at City
- 10 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
The designs have been developed by conservation architects Feilden + Mawson, structural engineers Conisbee and international exhibition designers Haley Sharpe Design, with input from historic building specialists, including archaeologists and architectural historians.
Steve Miller, assistant director community and environmental services (culture & heritage) at Norfolk County Council, said: 'We're delighted to have reached this milestone in the Norwich Castle: Gateway to Medieval England project.
'The formal planning application is the culmination of many years of hard work and an extensive consultation process with members of the public and key partners, which has shaped our plans for the Castle Keep and entrance...We firmly believe the project will be the catalyst to greatly enhance the cultural and tourism offer for the City and the region.'
John Ward, Norfolk Joint Museums Committee chairman, said: 'Norwich Castle was built as a seat of privilege and power: 900 years later the Gateway to Medieval England project will ensure its doors are open to everyone, returning it to a building of international standing with many new opportunities for learning and engagement and securing this vision of our great Castle for future generations.'
The project has secured funding from central government, the Heritage Lottery Fund, the New Anglia LEP, Garfield Weston Foundation and other organisations and businesses, as well as the general public.
The application is available to view online at https://planning.norwich.gov.ukPeople have until August 15 to submit their views on the application.
Norwich Castle's Keep Giving campaign - which is aiming to raise £50,000 to support the Norwich Castle: Gateway to Medieval England project - has to date raised about £21,700 from public donations.