North Norfolk Railway’s biggest-ever Summer Diesel Gala will feature eight locos
- Credit: Archant
The North Norfolk Railway (NNR) is gearing up for its biggest-ever Summer Diesel Gala, which begins tomorrow.
There will be eight locos running, including four visiting engines joining all the diesel-powered machines normally based on the railway, which runs between Sheringham and Holt. They will contribute to a collective 10,760 horsepower on display over the three-day event, with machines dating back to the late 1950s and 1960s.
Organised by the NNR's supporting diesel group, the Weybourne Traction Group, engines on show will range from a massive 1,700hp diesel-hydraulic Hymek through to a modest 350hp shunting engine. Normally confined to moving carriages and wagons in the sidings, the Class 11 shunter will be giving rides between trains at Weybourne.
The Hymek will be making its first visit to the North Norfolk Railway – the last time such a machine is believed to have visited the county was in the mid-1970s.
Other engines on show include the immaculately-restored Class 37 D6732, which is based at the railway and took volunteers a painstaking eight years to rebuild.
You may also want to watch:
A second Class 37 is booked to visit the railway from the national network Direct Rail Services and was due to travel over Sheringham Level Crossing at 6pm today.
Returning to traffic for the first time since 2013 will be the NNR's resident Class 25, nicknamed The Rat.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
The gala, from June 12-14, also marks the first anniversary of the Weybourne Traction Group Diesel Club, set up to help raise funds to keep the NNR's diesel locomotives running.
Other attractions over the course of the weekend include real ale served from the pump aboard the Muddle & Go Nowhere Real Ale Bar car - housed in a restored 1937 LNER Restaurant Buffet coach - and from a beer tent at Sheringham station. Special 'Beerex' trains will run late into the evening, with meals available on board. Trains will run about every 30 minutes with hop-on, hop-off tickets available.