New facilities boost city church that became an art exhibition centre
- Credit: Steve Adams
A former church that now hosts art exhibitions has been boosted by the addition of a toilet and kitchen area.
The former church of St Margaret de Westwick in St Benedict's Street, Norwich, has been in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust for many years, providing low-cost space for a wide variety of events, including the Norwich Print Fair and the Art of Norwich exhibitions.
Nick Williams, the chairman of the trust, said: 'The money to pay for these improvements, which will make the church a much better venue, has been generously donated following a fund-raising campaign led by one of our trustees, Felicity Hartley.
'The trust is very grateful to Felicity for her efforts and to all those who have supported our work. Special thanks must go to the Paul Bassham Trust, the John Jarrold Trust, the Norwich Society, the Geoffrey Watling Charity and Anthony Barnes for their donations to this work.'
Ruski, a photographer and an artist in his own right, who manages the venue on behalf of the trust said: 'St Margarets Church of Art is the ultimate blank canvas, a versatile space upon which our many exhibitions of artists can realise their creative visions.
You may also want to watch:
'The new facilities are certain to make a huge improvement to the comfortable enjoyment of our venue by its many exhibitors and visitors.'
Do you have a heritage story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched