King’s Lynn hairdresser releases her debut novel, set in WWII
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Tracey Plumley's chats with clients about life during the war has helped give her novel by the human touch.
Mrs Plumley was so keen to make sure the facts were right for her book, Ponders End, and spent a lot of time thoroughly researching the era for her characters and plot. She also chatted to her customers about their own experiences.
'Their insight into the war was extremely special,' she said.
'I would never have come across the snippets of information or tales they shared with me in textbooks or the internet.
'It's lovely I've been able to incorporate some of those experiences in the book as well.'
You may also want to watch:
Ponders End is set in London during the Second World War.
It follows the story of Kate, a newlywed from King's Lynn, who moves to London to live with her husband and his family. But being closer to her new extended family isn't the move she had expected.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 8 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
Although the novel is fiction, Mrs Plumley spent a lot of time researching the times to make sure even the smallest of details was not overlooked.
'I didn't want anything to creep into the book that was inaccurate or wrong,' she said. 'The feedback so far has been really positive.'
Mrs Plumley, of Baldock Drive, spent fours years writing the book in her spare time.
Ponders End, by Tracey Plumley, is available on Amazon and online book stores.
- Have you released a book in west Norfolk? Email email@example.com.