Looking back on magical memories at Great Yarmouth’s Marina Centre
For 30 years, the Marina Centre has been the place to keep fit and have fun on Great Yarmouth's Golden Mile.
Whether it was a dip in the pool, a chance to test your skills in bowls or compete in a bodybuilding competition, the leisure centre had activities for locals and holiday-makers alike to enjoy themselves.
Now the leisure centre's walls will come down and make way for a multi-million pound development next year.
While most of the feedback has been positive, the Borough council received a petition calling for the centre to be built elsewhere.
However, despite thousands of signatures to save the building, the 1980s centre will be knocked down and closed to the public on October 31 and construction for the new centre is due to begin in Spring 2020.
You may also want to watch:
The Great Yarmouth Mercury dug through the Archant archives to share our fondest memories of the Marina Centre ahead of its closure.
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'