Former Norwich pub is put on sale for £250,000
- Credit: ARCHANT } NORFOLK 2003.
It was once a thriving community pub in north Norwich, but in more recent years it's been better known as a derelict eyesore.
The former Magpie pub in Magpie Road, which dates back to about 1806, has been empty since 2006.
But the current owners have put it on the market, with a guide price of £250,000.
It's being advertised by Hillcrest agents in King Street, Norwich as a development opportunity.
Plans have been drawn up for either conversion to eight studio flats or four two-bedroom flats, and a large barn at the rear of the property could also be converted or demolished.
While a planning application has not yet been submitted, Yvonne Astley, a Hillcrest director, said: 'There has already been lots of interest in the property. I'm sure that people in the area will be happy that something is being done to the site.
'While plans have been drawn up for its conversion into flats, if someone wanted to turn it back into a pub, they could, but it does not look as if anyone wants to.'
- 1 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 2 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
- 3 Norwich street named one of the most beautiful in the world
- 4 Seven people arrested after 50 vehicles stopped by police at Thickthorn
- 5 Crumbling coast fear means Norfolk's 'golf ball' radar must be moved
- 6 Enjoy afternoon tea onboard a steam train in Norfolk this summer
- 7 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 8 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 9 Football club fined and chairman suspended over FA breaches
- 10 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
Mancroft ward city councillor Amy Stammers said: 'It's a shame to lose a community asset like that.
'Pubs traditionally have been places where people have congregated and shared their thoughts of the day. At the same time, there is a need for houses and I hope they develop it sensibly.'
When it was a pub, The Magpie was also known as The Weighing Machine and Weighing Chains. The property was auctioned off about five years ago and sold for £165,000.
Have you got a story about a former Norwich pub? Or do you have particularly fond memories of the Magpie pub? Email email@example.com