Focus on folk dancing through the decades
- Credit: Archant Library
It's time to get your dancing shoes on! We have taken a little trip down memory lane and collated a few photos of some of the folk dancers that have performed around Norfolk.
1. Morris dancers entertain the large crowd at New Buckenham's May Day fair. Dated: 6th May 1991.
2. German folk dancers from Winningen, on the Moselle, who were visiting Norfolk. They were welcomed at County Hall where they gave a short demonstration of their style of dancing. Dated: around September 1968.
3. An ideal setting for a display of Morris dancing by Kemp's Men of Norwich - Norwich Cathedral Close - with dancers from various parts of East Anglia. Dated: 21st July 1979.
4. Traditional Dutch dancers Aald Hielpen, of Hinderloopen, Friesland, bring an unusual addition to Kemp's Men's dance festival. Dated: 4th July 1992.
You may also want to watch:
5. Dancers Sylvia Hughes-Dimascio and John Dimascio and musicians Mary Dent and Alan Sissons. Dated: 5th September 1989.
6. Dancing Danes displayed their culture in a colourful show of formation dancing for the delight of the King's Lynn shoppers in the Riverside Gardens. Dated: 12th July 1991.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 9 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 10 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
7. Scottish country dancing at Longham. Dated: 3rd January 1991.
8. Thousands of people enjoyed the Norwich Festival Carnival at Eaton Park in 1951. These happy youngsters enjoyed dancing the Cumberland Long Eight at the festival party organised by the Norfolk and Norwich District of the English Folk Dance and Song Society at Town Close House.
9. The lure of summer sunshine attracted an additional splash of colour to Chapel Field Gardens in Norwich, when the members of the Senegal Dance Company, who opened at the Theatre Royal for a week the evening before, took time off for an impromptu out-of-doors rehearsal. Dated: 19th July 1976.
10. A day at Diss dancing the Morris at the Mere's Mouth. Dated: 17th May 1980.
11. Morris dancers entertain shoppers in King's Lynn town centre on 16th June 1990.
12. Kemp's Men morris dancers on the steps of Norwich cathedral in May 1993.
13. White Rose morring, of Huddersfield, dancing the Church Tower stick dance in London Street, Norwich. Dated: 6th July 1991.
14. Virsky Ukrainian State Folk Dance Company leap onto the stage of the Theatre Royal on July 5th 1981. The eighty dancers and musicians were in England for a short tour. Their style of dancing was one of the most fiery and spirited in the world. It embraced remarkable acrobatic feats and lyrical passages of great charm. Most members of the company had early training in formal ballet as well as folk dancing.
The famous ballet school at Kiev, which has produced star artists for the Bolshoi, Kirov and Kiev Ballets, has also produced many of the stars of the Virsky company. The dancing is complemented by a wardrobe of hundreds of costumes, all hand-made and embroidered in the traditional manner of Ukraine. Dated: around June 1981.