£40,000 costs met for Le Strange statue in Hunstanton
- Credit: Ian Burt
Without the vision of Henry Le Strange in the mid-19th century, Hunstanton would not be the seaside resort it is today.
And now that the £40,000 costs have been met, a statue of the great man should be in place in the town on Upper Green, overlooking the lower Green and the Wash, by spring 2017.
More than £12,700 was raised in the town, and William Searle, who led the fundraising for the larger-than-life bronze statue, said: 'My thanks go to the many people who have made donations. Now all the funding is in place we can get on with the task of commissioning the sculptor and making this project a reality.
'Hunstanton owes so much to Henry Le Strange; it seems only right he is acknowledged in this way. It is clear that residents still have enormous respect for him and this has been demonstrated by the level of donations.'
West Norfolk Council made a £8,000 contribution towards the sculpture with £20,000 match- funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Big Lottery Fund-supported Hunstanton Heritage Gardens project.
Borough council cabinet member for regeneration Alistair Beales said: 'This statue will be at the heart of the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens project, which is fitting for this country squire who did so much to shape the Victorian resort.
'I am delighted to see how the whole community has got behind this project.'
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 4 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 5 Mum trying to find lost 'heart' of daughter who died days after birthday
- 6 Woman in serious condition in hospital after crash between two cars and van
- 7 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 8 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 9 North Norfolk glamping site named among best in the UK
- 10 Abnormal load to travel through county on first day of Norfolk Show
Are you fundraising for a special reason? Email firstname.lastname@example.org