From the Archive: Santa and his sack of toy
- Credit: Archant library
What would Christmas be without that childhood anticipation surrounding Santa and his sack of toys? This week I take a nostalgic look-back at Christmas 50 years ago.
1 Guess what Santa's bringing me for Christmas! This little girl on a hobby horse was snapped in Brandon in late November.
2 Outside a toy shop in the town someone else is having a go on a trike which looks to be about the right size.
You may also want to watch:
3 A youngster gets behind the wheel of a top go-kart for a trial run in Spashetts Toy Shop in Bungay. The kart was one of the more sophisticated toys in a very wide range in this shop.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
4 Father Christmas makes a scheduled stop at Drayton Village Hall just before Christmas.
5 Members of Hellesdon Youth Club had been busy collecting toys for the Sue Ryder Appeal for forgotten allies – victims of concentration camps - and also in that year had collected money for many other deserving charities.
6 Teresa Brown (five) and her sister Hilary (four) receive an advance present from Santa at King's Lynn.
7 That year Father Christmas was also in Snowland at Catlings, Lowestoft and the children seemed to be as entranced by the working model of the ski-lift as they were by the gifts being offered by that familiar figure with the long white beard and red robe.
8 Jeans Toy shop in Lowestoft housed toys of all kinds to suit all ages and pockets, from model spacecraft to giant tanks, like this range shown here.
9 Hey daddy! This is something I would really like for Christmas. See how well I can ride it! In a year when trikes were all the rage, this youngster was photographed at Regis Toys in the town.
10 In early December an indefatigable Santa was to be found at Thetford's Co-operative Store, where his young customers seemed somewhat critical of the man in red.
If you recognise anyone in the pictures or would like to tell us more about them you can email email@example.com
Make sure you join our Facebook group: Norwich Remembers, for a nostalgic look at Norwich over the decades.