From the archive: Great Ellingham’s Teddy Bear Festival through the years
From Sherlock Holmes to Queen Elizabeth, dozens of famous faces have been commemorated in straw at the Great Ellingham Teddy Bear Festival. Here's a look back at some of the fun that's been had at the festival over the years.
Since 2004, the South Norfolk village of Great Ellingham, near Attleborough, has been hosting a Teddy Bear Trail, a two week festival during which time residents display teddy bears made predominantly from straw in their gardens.
The fortnight is filled with a whole programme of additional events, which over the years have included a garden party, art exhibition, car rally, live music and a Thanksgiving service.
The first Teddy Bear trail saw 47 bears produced in the village, the second saw 72 and in 2006 there were over 90 bears. This year 62 bears are on display around the village until Sunday July 17.
Previous years have seen bears crafted to look like St George and the dragon, a ballerina, Spongebob Squarepants, Alice in Wonderland, Usain Bolt, Mr Bean and Barry Sheene.
You may also want to watch:
Money raised from the festival has gone to support various causes, such as East Anglia's Children's Hospices (Quidenham), Great Ellingham Recreation Centre, Great Ellingham Brownies, St James' Church in Great Ellingham and Friends of Great Ellingham School.
• Send your Teddy Bear Festival pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 7 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 8 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 9 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns