From our archives: Such a reassuring presence for so many generations

PLACESHAPPISBURGH LIGHTHOUSEDATE EDP 4TH MARCH 1961PLATE P1766FOA June 2014

PLACESHAPPISBURGH LIGHTHOUSEDATE EDP 4TH MARCH 1961PLATE P1766FOA June 2014

Lighthouses, coastguard stations and those who operate them have been a constant and reassuring presence in our region for generations.

More than mere backdrops to many a tourist's photo, they have provided a much-needed service to seafarers through the years. Here are a few photos from the EDP archives.

1 Cley beach was the venue for a two-day course in 1960 on life-saving apparatus undertaken by coastguard station officers of the Eastern Division based in Great Yarmouth.

2 The Cromer lighthouse was being modernised in 1958 when our photo was taken. The 120-year-old lantern house with gas and electric lantern was demolished and a new single-powered, all-electric and non-revolving light was soon to be fitted. The last lighthouse keepers left in December 1989 when the service was automated.

3 Two new women auxiliary coastguards, Mrs Joan Torne (right) and Miss Heather Kinnear, are pictured in the Gorleston look-out in late 1973.


You may also want to watch:


4 Down on the quayside, the Gorleston lighthouse presides over the assembled anglers.

5 A candy-striped landmark by day, a warning beacon by night, Happisburgh lighthouse 'rises like a ringed giant on the North Norfolk coast', as our EDP photo caption from 1961 describes it.

Most Read

6 This family goes searching for mussels at Old Hunstanton beside a beached fishing vessel, with the coastguard station and former lighthouse in the background. Our photo dates from 1985.

7 As the double-decker to Pakefield trundles by in 1957, Lowestoft lighthouse looms behind these houses off the High Street.

8 Winterton lighthouse had not functioned for many years when our photo was taken in 1950. During the interwar period, the bungalows beside the lighthouse – then occupied by Lord Elmley, a former East Norfolk MP – were the scene of many busy meetings at election time.

9 It was farewell to the Coastguard HQ on Marine Parade at Yarmouth in February 1963. The site went up for auction, after more than a century of service. Its site, right in the centre of the Golden Mile, attracted unofficial estimates of £40,000 to £100,000; the building was demolished in 1964.

10 Still at Yarmouth, buoys at Trinity House depot provided our photographer in 1968 with a fine picture overlooking the docks.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus