From our archives: Look back at some heady days on and off the track
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk has long been associated with the adrenaline-fuelled sports of motor racing and rallying, reinforced by the presence in the county of Lotus Cars and the historic Snetterton race track.
Today's archive feature looks back at some heady days on and off the track. Competitors race to their cars at the start of the Autosports 'Three Hour Race' at Snetterton in this picture from 1960 (1).
J.R. Lewis makes a strong challenge in his Cooper during the Vanwall Trophy race at Snetterton in the same year (2). Ted Cleghorn and co-driver Tim Healey check the route they will take during the Monte Carlo rally before setting off from Harvey Lane garage in their Triumph Herald (3).
Formula 1 cars practise at Snetterton for that day's Lombard Trophy race meeting of April 1962 (4).
Spectators gasp as D. Addicott loses control of his Lotus XV-Buick on the last lap of the scratch race for sports cars at Snetterton in July 1962 – happily, he escaped serious injury (5).
A stately array of vintage, post-vintage and historic racing cars was the subject of our photo as they lined up at the start of the Stanley Sears Trophy Race at the race track in May 1963 (6).
Our cameraman had an elevated view of proceedings during the Archie Scott-Brown Memorial Trophy race at Snetterton in 1965. In the centre at the front is the eventual winner, Jack Pearce, driving a Kincraft Ford, a car designed and built to his own specifications by Lotus craftsmen and designers (7).
- 1 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 2 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 3 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 4 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 5 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 6 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 7 All of the Norfolk streets that won the Postcode Lottery in June
- 8 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 9 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
- 10 Farmers could be paid to leave fields fallow to end homes limbo
Our lensman was again present to record the start of the Formula Ford race at Snetterton in July 1968, won by No. 24, a Russell-Alexis driven by Alan Harness (8).
Cars are lined up on the grid for the second heat of the Leston Championship race in May 1969 (9).
We finish with an animated scene capturing the start of the Forward Trust Formula 3 race at Snetterton in 1973 (10).
-If you recognise anyone in the pictures or would like to tell us more about them then you can email email@example.com
-To get a copy of one of our old photographs, visit www.edp24.co.uk/buyaphoto or phone 01603 772449.