The EDP says: Failing mental health trust not good enough
- Credit: NSFT
It is deeply concerning that the region's mental health trust has, once again, been branded as failing vulnerable patients.
To put it bluntly, it is simply not good enough that the trust is once again to be put into special measures.
We have been here before.
The patients who Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust treat are mentally ill. They need to be safe and they need to get the best possible care.
They are not getting that and they have not got that for a number of years.
READ MORE: Inspectors brand region's mental health trust inadequate againIn 2015, it became the first mental health trust in the country to go into special measures. There were pledges and promises to turn things around.
It seemed progress was being made. Last year, the Care Quality Commission upgraded the trust to 'requires improvement'.
Yet it is now inadequate again, with the chief executive Michael Scott having already departed.
- 1 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 2 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 3 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
- 4 Police break up rave at country park
- 5 'Disappointed and angry' - Cricket pitch repeatedly vandalised by bikers
- 6 Woman accused of exposing herself to boy outside Lowestoft park
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in crash with 4x4 outside village pub
- 8 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 9 Anger as three flights between Norwich and Amsterdam cancelled
- 10 Small plates restaurant and bottle shop coming to north Norfolk town
Newly appointed chief executive Julie Cave has apologised to patients and said the trust is determined to improve.
We have heard that before. Last time the improvements did not last.
It's worth noting inspectors praised the staff for their kindness and compassion, while identifying there were not enough of them.
The blame has been placed squarely on the leadership.
Nobody is suggesting it will be easy, but is time for those at the top to step up to the mark.