Summer recipe: Cromer Crab Benedict
- Credit: Archant
This gorgeous summertime dish serves two as a starter or one person as a main.
Sally Jones, director of the Hog Hotel in Lowestoft, where you can find this dish on the new summer menu, says: “What could be more evocative of summer in East Anglia than Cromer crab? Whether eaten fresh from the shell down at the beach or with salad at home, we love it when this flavoursome crab is truly in season.
“This simple recipe can be made for any number of people and is perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner. The saltiness of the samphire cuts through the richness of the crab and hollandaise beautifully and it is best enjoyed with a crisp Chablis or Spanish Albariño.”
The Hog Hotel is currently open for lunch and dinner Friday and Saturday, 12-2pm and 6-9pm and Sunday 12-4pm. For more information please visit www.thehoghotel.co.uk or call 01502 569805.
Dressed Cromer crab
You may also want to watch:
Free range egg
- 1 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 4 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 Long delays due to overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
Salt and pepper
For the Hollandaise
150g butter (melted and warm)
3 egg yolks
½ tsp white wine vinegar
Let’s start with the sauce. Put the egg yolks in a bowl with vinegar and salt. Place over a pan of simmering water and whisk until pale and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the butter until you have a smooth sauce. Add a touch of lemon juice to sharpen.
Next, split the muffin, toast and top with fresh crab meat lightly seasoned with salt, lemon and a little tabasco. Place a soft poached egg on top, then coat with Hollandaise sauce and finish with some samphire cooked in butter and water. Bon Appétit!