Call to arms to Norfolk and Suffolk nature lovers - take part in Big Wild Sleepout
- Credit: PA
The RSPB are calling for people to spend a night out amongst nature to raise money and awareness and help save wildlife.
Part of the RSPB's 'Giving Nature a Home' campaign, The Big Wild Sleepout, which runs until June 22, is aiming to inspire people to become aware of nature by encouraging them to spend a night under the stars in their gardens or at RSPB nature reserves across the country.
'The thousands of people around the country taking part in this year's Big Wild Sleepout are helping to make this the RSPB's biggest-ever fundraising event,' said organiser Richard Bashford.
Some of the nation's best loved garden favourites are among those in serious trouble including starlings, hedgehogs and ladybirds and people are encouraged to either gain sponsorship for their camping, have a camping party where people have to pay an entry fee or make a donation straight to the RSPB.
The RSPB website has loads of camping ideas, including great ways to avoid getting wet in the summer rain and fun family activities to keep children entertained as well as learning about the creatures in their garden.
You may also want to watch:
Also on the website will be the RSPB's 'Bumper Book Of Wildlife Stories' where celebrities including Zoë Ball, Emilia Fox and Bill Oddie have supported the event by recording a series of bedtime stories to help people fall asleep on their Sleepout
'Whether it's joining family and friends for a sponsored camp in your back garden, visiting an event at your local RSPB reserve, or taking part in one of the more unusual Sleepouts, everyone is doing their bit to help save the UK's threatened wildlife – and hopefully having a lot of fun at the same time,' said Mr Bashford.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
Have you spotted anything amazing while out and about? Log on to iwitness24.co.uk to share your pictures.
For more information www.rspb.org.uk/thingstodo/sleepout