10 questions with... Chloe Smith
- Credit: Archant
Each week we put a Norwich resident in the hot seat and ask them ten questions about themselves. This week we spoke with Chloe Smith, MP for Norwich North.
• Describe Norwich in three words...
Independent-minded, common-sense and historic
• If you were stranded with 3 people on a deserted island, who would you want them to be?
Theodore Roosevelt (for his attitude which inspires me in number 6 below), Victoria Pendleton (talented, smart, self-aware, interested in coaching others, and about the same age as me) and my husband!
You may also want to watch:
• If you could be any other person, who would it be?
Perhaps someone building their own business, as I'm always impressed by people in that line.
- 1 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 2 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 6 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 7 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
• How would you spend a perfect weekend in Norwich?
A whole weekend free? - Great! Preferably it would be one of the Norfolk and Norwich Festival weekends, but year round it would be lunch at a café like Britannia or Olives, a walk on Mousehold Heath or Catton Park, then catch a film at Cinema City. On Sunday, I'd get out in the countryside for a long bike ride.
• What's your mantra in life?
With thanks to Theodore Roosevelt, 'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.'
• Would you rather spend a night in front of the telly or a night out on the town?
I must be getting old – in with a film and having made a good dinner. I love cooking curries from scratch.
• Which song defines your life?
At our wedding we used Take That's 'Rule the World' – it's more about the amazement of what you feel you can do when you find the person you love, rather than about politics, though!
• What's your biggest fear?
Probably water. I'm not a brilliant swimmer so would never want to be out of my depth that way.
• Which one thing could you never be without?
A good book. However busy I get, I always have a novel on the go.
• What would you do if you won the lottery?
Husband and I would love to sail ourselves to beautiful places around the world. With a baby on the way, though, we'd better leave that idea for a few years yet.
• Would you like to take part in this weekly feature? Email firstname.lastname@example.org