How to organise a Royal Wedding street party

Organising a street party needn't be too daunting.

Start by asking a couple of neighbours whether they are keen and invite the whole street to the first meeting, ideally in the street as it is more welcoming. After consulting with everyone on your street, you then need to obtain an application from Norfolk County Council to close your road or street and return it to the council by March 31.

Not all roads will be suitable to close for street parties. Roads that will be suitable will be local roads, cul-de-sacs and residential roads.

It is being advised applicants should consider having public liability insurance to give organisers extra peace of mind. Otherwise you should agree in advance that everyone take responsibility for themselves and watch out for each other.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you provide road closure signs, barriers and possibly diversion signs for your event.

As the wedding has been set for 11am and people may want to watch on television, plan to hold the party in the afternoon.

Get everyone in the street to bring something. Food and drink are a great way of bringing everyone together. Paper platers, bowls and plastic cups are easier to clear away at the end of the event.

Most Read

Try to get the children to make bunting in advance to decorate the street. On the day ensure there is something to suit all ages like competitions for best decorated house, cake making and best handmade crown.

Ask if anyone in the street plays an instrument or alternatively play music on a CD player. Ensure there is something for all tastes and that music played is not too loud or goes on too late.

You will be responsible for cleaning up after your street party. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a time set aside for clearing up into bin bags and recycling where possible.

Norfolk County Council has cut the cost to communities and organisations wishing to close roads and streets for the royal wedding.

Instead of the normal �450 charge per closure, the council is promoting a multiple road closure application and reducing the cost to �29.04 - to reflect the date of the wedding.

Organisations or communities wishing to have a street party can request an application form from or by contacting Russ Blackshields, project co-ordinator, on 01553 778025.

Completed applications must be received by the March 31.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter