Great Yarmouth Hippodrome returns next month for 111th time
- Credit: Archant
The historic Hippodrome Circus in Great Yarmouth celebrates its 111th year with its all action Summer Circus and Water Spectacular next month.
This year's summer show, starting on July 16, will all be presented in the Hippodrome's brand new Opera House setting, inspired by the Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas.
The new setting has been made by 3d Creations of Gorleston, which created the Easter pirate galleon stage design.
Britain's last surviving circus building, it stages its new blockbuster extravaganza with international circus artists, comedians, dancers, swimmers, acrobats and mind blowing feats of daring, including the amazing globe riders who perform incredible feats in a giant globe.
This summit of extreme circus stunts continues with the wheel of death, the gravity defying human hamster wheel, comedy stars Jack Jay and Johnny Mac direct from their Easter pirates live show, Polish strong men, Dolce and Gabanna models who star in the arena's water spectacle and much more, including a springboard troupe.
You may also want to watch:
Host and co-producer Jack Jay said visitors could expect a new level of opulence at the circus, restoring what was lost during the Second World War when ornate decoration was used for target practice.
He said it was something they had hoped to do for around five years and were just putting the finishing touches to drapes, finery, gold columns and opera-style boxes.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
'It will be dramatic as soon as you walk in,' he said.
'We have taken the Hippodrome to a whole new level of opulence.
'The show is looking amazing and we have got some fantastic acts. It is the first time we have had the wheel of death and the globe at the same time, which will be an interesting logistical feat in itself.
'Both are top acts and would be enough on their own, so to have them both is great and is something that has never happened all the time we have been here.'
• The summer season of shows starts on July 16 and runs until September 21.
• For tickets or details go to the box office, or visit www.hippodromecircus.co.uk
• Do you have a Great Yarmouth story? Email email@example.com