Get your glad rags on in Dereham for a show to remember as Priscilla comes to town
- Credit: Ashley Cashfield
It is almost time to get your glitter on, sew in the sequins and take the ride of your life for the Norfolk premiere of one of Broadway's most popular and acclaimed musicals.
The hilarious and heart warming Tony award-winning show Priscilla Queen of the Desert will be performed by Dereham Theatre Company next month.
Based on the Oscar-winning film, the story of self-discovery, sassiness and acceptance follows the adventures of Tick, Adam and Bernadette.
They are two drag queens and a transgender woman who are contracted to perform a drag show at a resort in Alice Springs.
They venture across the Australian outback in their party bus – Priscilla – performing their outrageous show along the way and encountering a number of strange characters.
You may also want to watch:
Featuring a rainbow of spectacular costumes and head pieces custom-made by Dereham Theatre Costumes and a hit parade of infectious dance classics from the 1970s and 80s, by the likes of Tina Turner, Donna Summer and the Village People, this will be a journey to the heart of fabulous.
The company welcomes Ben Francis as director for this show from neighbouring Fakenham company Fadlos. He recently directed their hugely successful 50th Anniversary production of Sister Act.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 5 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 6 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 7 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 8 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
They also welcome back Helen and Dave Cowie as musical directors and the twinkle-toed Georgia Millan as choreographer.
Many new members have joined the company this year and they are preparing to celebrate their own 70th anniversary in 2018.
Spokesman Sophie Blanks said: 'We are dedicated to bringing fantastic, quality productions to the people of Dereham and the surrounding areas, we urge everyone to get on board the Priscilla bus and support this production.
'Never has there been a better time in society to enjoy a show about friendship, acceptance and celebrating our differences.'
Priscilla is being performed at Dereham Memorial Hall from October 3 to 7, 7.30pm nightly and a 2.30pm Saturday matinee.
Tickets, costing £15, are available from www.derehamtheatre.co.uk or from Bright and Beautiful Flowers, in Dereham, on 01362 288124.
For more information about Dereham Theatre Company go to the website www.dosoc.co.uk.