11 great deals on food and drink for Sourced Locally Fortnight
PUBLISHED: 17:15 06 June 2018 | UPDATED: 18:18 07 June 2018
Celebrate the East of England's Sourced Locally Fortnight by swapping your regular brands for local substitutes.
The East of England Co-op is celebrating 150 years of co-operation by inviting us to enjoy a ‘feast from the East’.
The award-winning initiative, which showcases produce from local suppliers is in full swing now until June 15, with shoppers encouraged to keep it local and swap an item of shopping in their baskets for a local alternative.
Roger Grosvenor, joint chief executive of the East of England Co-op, said: “Every year we celebrate Sourced Locally with a fortnight dedicated to all things local, and this year is particularly exciting as we do so during our 150th anniversary celebrations. It is the perfect chance to try some of the great-tasting and affordable food and drink, made right on your doorstep.”
The award-winning Sourced Locally scheme started in 2007 and has since generated more than £62million for the region, creating and protecting more than 400 local jobs. The East of England Co-op works in partnership with over 100 local producers, stocking thousands of products.
Roger continued: “Local food has so much going for it – it is fresh, full of flavour and supports your local economy. We are incredibly proud of Sourced Locally and all our hard-working suppliers.”
During Sourced Locally Fortnight, anyone sharing a picture of themselves enjoying Sourced Locally products on social media using the hashtag #SourcedLocally could win a £100 East of England Co-op voucher.
There are loads of offers to get your hands on during the coming week, including a cooked breakfast for just £5. The deal includes Valley Grown tomatoes, Taste of Suffolk bacon, Capel Mushrooms, Havensfield Eggs and Taste of Suffolk sausages. Alongside a loaf of local bread that’s enough to satisfy a family of four this weekend for only £1.25 per person.
To commemorate its anniversary, during Sourced Locally fortnight a number of limited edition products are also available to buy, including Marriage’s flour, Havensfield Eggs, glistening Hadleigh Maid Mallow Whirls, specially brewed beer from Calvors, Fruits of Suffolk jam and tea from Butterworth & Sons.
Pop these deals in your basket
1. Breakfast for £5 – with all local ingredients
2. Buy any two packs of Wicks Manor sausages for £2 (including pork and honey, and gluten-free Cumberland varieties). Wicks Manor was the overall winner of the East of England Co-op Producer of the Year awards and sells its sausages not just in the UK, but globally too – as far as Singapore. Try them closer to home in a lovely sausage sandwich.
3. Find deals on ideal fillers for your picnic basket. Stokes Piccalilli (£3.55) is great alongside the generously sized sausage shortie from Dan Hull (£3) made with prime cuts of pork.
4. Marybelle cream (produced in Suffolk) is half price when you purchase a punnet of juicy Sourced Locally strawberries – now that’s a match made in heaven.
5. Pick up a punnet of Sourced Locally raspberries from only £2.09.
6. Visit the ice lolly freezer for individual tubs of Norfolk-made Dann’s Farm Ice Cream £1.48). The ice cream is as fresh as it gets, going from cow to tub in an hour! Every batch is made with dairy from the farm’s own Holstein-Fresian cows and eggs from it’s free-range chickens. Mint Chocolate is one of our favourite flavours.
7. Buy two Adnams Ghost Ship four packs and get a large bag of Fairfields Ghost Ship crisps free (stock up for the World Cup). If you buy a Ghost Ship keg (£17.49) get two bags free.
8. Other brilliant local beers to try out include Greene King’s Heritage Vintage Fine Ale, Adnams’ new Bicycle Kick Kolner, and Woodfordes’ Bure Gold, which is being sold at £5 for three. A Norfolk Brewhouse Ale Gift Sale will also be on sale during Sourced Locally Fortnight, offering two 500ml beers and a glass for £8.49.
9. Try some tasty wines from local vineyards. There’s 15% off when you buy six bottles of Shawgate Bacchus, Rose or Pandora wine or Adnams’ new 0.5% rose, red or white wine.
10. If you haven’t already tried it, buy a bottle of Adnams Copper House Dry Gin during Sourced Locally Fortnight, with a 70cl bottle and two glasses priced at £32.99
11. Go fresh. Seek out Buxton white potatoes, Fairfields Farm baby potatoes, Sourced Locally asparagus, Valley Grown Salads plum vine tomatoes and Capel Mushrooms.