PUBLISHED: 17:53 30 June 2006 | UPDATED: 11:07 22 October 2010
Charles and Joy Boldero enjoy spectacular coast views on a walk around Salthouse. This walk of five miles or three-and-a-quarter miles has panoramic views of the coastline and the paths were in good order too.
Charles and Joy Boldero enjoy spectacular coast views on a walk around Salthouse.
We parked by the Green at Salthouse which is situated along the A149, 10 miles west of Cromer.
This walk of five miles or three-and-a-quarter miles has panoramic views of the coastline and the paths were in good order too. From the red telephone box, we crossed the road to the stile and went along the narrow path, then climbed the next stile and crossed the meadow and continued along the path in the barley field.
Our path then went downhill through a copse. At the bottom, we branched left at the fork. Reaching the footpath sign, we went across the large field, through the crop, then crossed the track and continued along the path in the field opposite with hedge on our left.
We walked across the next field, going towards the copse, reaching the bottom with the copse on our right. At a T-junction our path went right to the road passing the path and steps on the right to the Norfolk Ornithologists' Reserve and information centre.
We turned left along the road for about 100 yards. At the finger post sign, we turned right onto the bank path. Then, after another 100 yards, we turned left down onto and along the marsh path. (If you wish to do the shorter, three-and-a-quarter-mile walk, keep along the bank to the end, then turn right and pick up directions at **marked below).
The wide grass path we walked along continued beside the road. The path became a board walk and we turned right over the bridge and continued left along the board walk. At the T-junction we went left, going over another bridge to the road where we went right and crossed the road, turning right along the track in front of houses in Cley and ignoring a path on the left.
At the end of the path we continued along the road for about 50 yards, then turned right down to the kissing gate and shortly turned right along the bank path.
Further along, there was a path diversion, so we followed it crossing the Beach Road and into the path which took us down to the beach. We turned right across the car park, passing the notice board and keeping beside the fence on the right.
We ignored any paths right until (** rejoin route) we came to Little Eye. Here, at the end of the fence line with a yellow marker on a corner post and to the left a pill box and mound, we turned right along the track passing another marker sign. The path twisted left and right going over a bridge. There was a good view of Salthouse village and the church up on the hill. We crossed the road, turned right along the pavement which we followed back to the start of the walk.
t PLACES OF INTEREST:
1. Turn left if you wish to visit the Norfolk Wildlife Trust Centre. It's open daily (10am-5pm) except Christmas Day. There's wheelchair access to many of the hides. For more information call 01263 740008. NWT Cley Marshes is the oldest and best known nature reserve in the country. It was purchased by Dr Sidney Long in 1926. During the Middle Ages, Cley Marshes were under water at high tide and boats were able to navigate along the channels into a harbour close to Cley Church. The higher ground was known as 'The Eye', an island in the marsh. In 1949, a series of banks were built to protect the village from the sea flooding. This land space became an area for grazing animals. During spring wading birds, such as spotted redshank on their way to the Arctic breeding grounds, stop to rest and feed. The summer birds include the booming bittern, sedge, reed and grasshopper warblers and avocets. In winter, wigeon, teal, shovelers and pintails also visit here.
2. Pill box type 27, a large hexagonal with an open chamber in the middle for a light AA weapon, for 10 men. This one has a concrete cover over the anti-aircraft chamber.
3. Little Eye, is a glacial mound and the Pill Box is a type 20, a heavy machine-gun pill box. The concrete blocks by the tracks were built to obstruct tanks.
4. At the end of this track a corn mill once stood. From here you have a good view of the church of St Nicholas which was built in the 15th century by Sir Henry Heydon. The roof inside is an arched-braced one with fine curved and panelled wall plates and deep wall posts. The 15th century font has symbols of the Evangelists on its panels. Sir Christopher Myngs (1625-1666), who rose to vice-admiral in 1664 and hoisted his flag on the Royal Oak, was baptised here.
The grey 'pebbles', rounded by the action of the sea, were used for building many of the houses in Salthouse. This gives the village its distinctive character. Salthouse was a tidal inlet from the open sea and a thriving port. Some 500 years ago fishermen could climb into their boats alongside what is now the coast road and row out to sea. As its name suggests, sea water was collected into lagoons, then boiled and, as it evaporated, the residue of salt was collected.
The Dun Cow has been a popular venue for walkers, cyclists and drivers for many a year. There is an excellent choice on the menu and a friendly welcome. Charles really enjoyed his pint of Adnams Regatta.
t MAP REFERENCES:
OS Landranger 133, Explorer 251:
074439, 062439, 061441, 060441,(for the shorter walk from this map reference go onto map reference 059449 and turn right); Longer walk follow: 048452, 078414,076438, 074439.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.