From our archives: A look back at photos from sport games gone by.
PUBLISHED: 12:00 22 June 2013
The end of June marks the high point for summer sports traditionally played on lawns and village greens throughout our region. This week I've delved into our archives to present some shots from games gone by.
1. A leisurely game of croquet is in progress at Hunstanton in this evocative image from 1958. Do any readers know a participant?
2. A cricket match takes place at Yarmouth’s Wellesley Recreation Ground in 1961 – judging by the crowd of spectators and the casual attire of some of the players, it’s a celebrity game featuring stars from that year’s seaside shows.
3. Here is a team of celebrities posing for our photographer before or after just such a match at Wellesley in the early 1960s.
4. A cricket match at Ingham in 1964 is interrupted by a Mr. Pastry-like figure on a bicycle – can readers tell me more?
5. Colin McManus bats for Norfolk against Cambridgeshire in this match played in 1972 at Lakenham, Norwich, for many years the home of Norfolk cricket.
6. A scratch game of cricket on Aldborough green passes the time for these youngsters during the summer holiday of 1979.
7. Normanston Park Lowestoft is the venue for this cricketing encounter in 1992. The spectactor leaning on his bike has a splendid view of proceedings.
8. Mixed doubles on Yarmouth seafront are about to get underway. We have no further details for this photo, unfortunately, though it seems to date from the early 1960s.
9. The men’s inter-county tennis championship was held at Cromer in 1963. Our next photo captures lively action from the doubles competition.
10. A view from the balcony of the new Norfolk LTA headquarters in Norwich overlooks the new all-weather courts which are in use for the first time in May 1969.
To view the gallery, click the link at the top right of this story.