Historic Norfolk manor goes on sale for £1.85 million
PUBLISHED: 09:11 07 May 2018 | UPDATED: 12:08 08 May 2018
The former historic home of the late Ron Fiske has come on the market for a guide price of £1.85 million.
The manor, which sold in 2016, has been refurbished with the installation of a new kitchen, new en suite and a bathroom among the improvements.
The house dates to the 17th century, originally owned by the Rope or Roope family and over the front entrance porch is a Latin inscription which plays on the word ‘Rope’ in a saying which means ‘this place is fixed firm.’
When John Rope died in 1686 his daughter inherited it and took it by marriage to Thomas Howse of Carleton Rode. His son John Howse married Elizabeth Keddington, said to be a lady of fortune from Suffolk. She was not pleased with the situation at Carleton Rode and to gratify her, Thomas rebuilt Morningthorpe with a new front.
After decorating the whole of the house and planting avenues he brought Elizabeth and their son to the manor in about 1697.
Only a small portion of the old house remains - chiefly its 17th century staircase, which boasts superb rope twist balustrades, and a small section of the original clay and timber walls.
It is for sale with Savills.
It was in the late 1800s when the house was given a make-over in the form of a Victorian Gothic addition and this was when the house had passed to Edward Howse who became Sheriff of Norfolk in 1859-65. His name was misspelled Howes and to conform to the writ, Edward changed his name to suit.
With his new status, he set about creating a grander house to suit him and was responsible for creating the library as well as installing the family armorial stained glass.
in 1990, historian Ron Fiske bought the house and lived there until 2015, when he made the decision to move to a smaller abode, selling a large portion of his collections, which were auctioned over several days by Keys.
Mr Fiske passed away last month.
The house has three principal reception rooms including the fine library/drawing room and a library hall which leads towards the recently refurbished kitchen/breakfast room with an Aga. This leads into an attractive conservatory overlooking the 3.67 acres of grounds and countryside beyond.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.