Dereham Town 4 Mildenhall Town 2: Magpies hit back to make it two wins in a row

Dereham Town's joint manager Adam Gusterson Picture: Alan Palmer Photography

Dereham Town's joint manager Adam Gusterson Picture: Alan Palmer Photography - Credit: Archant

Dereham Town recovered from a nightmare start to record their second big win in the space of four days in Bostik League North.

The Magpies followed up Saturday's 4-0 success at Basildon by hammering fellow relegation battlers Mildenhall Town 5-2 at Aldiss Park.

The hosts found themselves 2-0 down after just 13 minutes but were quickly back on level terms and went on to record an emphatic victory that took them above Mildenhall and out of the bottom two.

Thomas Debenham rose unchallenged to head home an 11th minute corner for Mildenhall and things got worse three minutes later when Abouhadje Kouassi scored from close range.

Dereham reduced the deficit in the 18th minute when Jake Hayhoe let Adam Hipperson's low 18 yard drive through his hands and drew level when Jay Eastoe-Smith headed home after Hipperson's cross was deflected to him in the 21st minute.

The turnaround was complete just before the half hour mark when Dereham were awarded a penalty after keeper Hayhoe had upended Ryan Crisp and Hipperson stepped up to convert.

Dereham dominated after the break and finally made their dominance count in the 70th minute when Joe Gatting stabbed the ball home from close range following a brilliant run from Hipperson. In added time Rhys Logan latched onto a long Elliot Pride clearance and drilled home to complete a comprehensive win.

Most Read

Elsewhere Kirkley and Pakefield hosted an Ipswich Town XI made up of youngsters in the quarter-finals of the Suffolk Premier Cup and were beaten 3-1.

The visitors took control after a goalless first half. Kian Ronan fired home after a Zak Brown effort had been blocked, Brown quickly made it 2-0 from the spot after being brought down in the box and left back Tommy Smith stretched the lead with a sweet strike. A late Lee Will penalty provided some consolation for the Royals.

Gorleston went out of the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup when they lost 3-0 at Newmarket, whose keeper Alex Archer scored one of the goals.

Joe Bennett gave the Jockeys a slender advantage at the break with an excellent strike and Joe Robinson produced a fine finish early in the second half before a wind-assisted goal-kick from Archer deceived Gorleston keeper Pete Murphy eight minutes later.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter