Dereham Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 1: Magpies go bottom after losing basement battle
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town dropped to the foot of the Bostik League North table after losing to fellow strugglers Soham at Aldiss Park.
The Magpies turned in a disappointing display as they slipped to a 12th defeat of the season, with a goal early in the second half from Callum Russell settling the issue.
With new signing Adam Plumstead making his debut in the centre of defence the hosts missed a great chance to take the lead after nine minutes when Joe Gatting headed Dion Frary's centre tamely into keeper Joshua Pope's arms.
As play continued to flow Johnathan Kaye forced Elliot Pride to save his downward header and minutes later the home keeper made a superb close range stop to deny Sam Mulready.
Another brilliant save from Pride prevented Jordan Patrick from putting the visitors in front in the 37th minute as they continued to look the more likely although Frary did have an effort blocked on the line following Ryan Crisp's corner.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors took the lead two minutes after the restart, the unmarked Russell having the simple task of tapping home Patrick's ball from the left at the far post.
Dereham responded with Owen Murphy forcing Pope into a full length save from his 20 yard drive. Crisp then fired over from the edge of the box as the home side pressed again. Adam Hipperson came on and immediately forced Pope to save his low diagonal drive while at the other end the lively Mulready was put through but was once again denied by the reliable Pride.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 5 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 6 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 7 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 8 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
- 9 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 10 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
With time running out Dereham spurned a good chance when Gatting diverted McLeish's corner over from close range.
Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, I Murphy, D Hinton, O Ebbage (G Quantrell 70), A Plumstead (T McLeish 82), R Crisp, A Smith, J Gatting, J Forshaw, D Beaumont (A Hipperson 63). Subs unsued: J Easton-Smith, L Johnson.
Soham Town Rangers: J Pope, L Endacott, W Gardner, A Connor, L Chaffee, H Mochalski, A Conway (R Auger 77), J Kaye, C Russell, S Mulready, J Patrick. Subs unsed: P Turner, L Groves.
Ref: R Head, Att: 185