Dereham Town 0 Soham Town Rangers 1: Magpies go bottom after losing basement battle
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town dropped to the foot of the Bostik League North table after losing to fellow strugglers Soham at Aldiss Park.
The Magpies turned in a disappointing display as they slipped to a 12th defeat of the season, with a goal early in the second half from Callum Russell settling the issue.
With new signing Adam Plumstead making his debut in the centre of defence the hosts missed a great chance to take the lead after nine minutes when Joe Gatting headed Dion Frary's centre tamely into keeper Joshua Pope's arms.
As play continued to flow Johnathan Kaye forced Elliot Pride to save his downward header and minutes later the home keeper made a superb close range stop to deny Sam Mulready.
Another brilliant save from Pride prevented Jordan Patrick from putting the visitors in front in the 37th minute as they continued to look the more likely although Frary did have an effort blocked on the line following Ryan Crisp's corner.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors took the lead two minutes after the restart, the unmarked Russell having the simple task of tapping home Patrick's ball from the left at the far post.
Dereham responded with Owen Murphy forcing Pope into a full length save from his 20 yard drive. Crisp then fired over from the edge of the box as the home side pressed again. Adam Hipperson came on and immediately forced Pope to save his low diagonal drive while at the other end the lively Mulready was put through but was once again denied by the reliable Pride.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
With time running out Dereham spurned a good chance when Gatting diverted McLeish's corner over from close range.
Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, I Murphy, D Hinton, O Ebbage (G Quantrell 70), A Plumstead (T McLeish 82), R Crisp, A Smith, J Gatting, J Forshaw, D Beaumont (A Hipperson 63). Subs unsued: J Easton-Smith, L Johnson.
Soham Town Rangers: J Pope, L Endacott, W Gardner, A Connor, L Chaffee, H Mochalski, A Conway (R Auger 77), J Kaye, C Russell, S Mulready, J Patrick. Subs unsed: P Turner, L Groves.
Ref: R Head, Att: 185