Fishing boats take centre stage at maritime discovery celebration in Yarmouth today
- Credit: Time and Tide Museum
A day of maritime discovery is being staged in Great Yarmouth today to mark a conservation milestone.
The event is being hosted at the Time and Tide Museum where the attraction's fishing vessels will show off the results of a makeover.
As part of the celebrations the courtyard will see crafts and activities on a fishing and Titanic theme, chiming with the museum's current exhibition Honour and Glory.
Staff and volunteers will be on hand to provide a behind the scenes insight and snapshot of the preservation work carried out on the historic boats over the last two months, funded by the Esmée Fairbairn Collections Fund.
Jennifer Hooker, project assistant, said: 'This is a very exciting time for the Sea History Differently project as we see the work on our boats reach the final stages. This day will enable visitors to see conservation in action and learn from the professionals about how to care for historic vessels.
You may also want to watch:
'Not all museum work has to happen behind the scenes and our celebration day will highlight this.' Jennifer Hooker, project assistant.
Visitors can see wood artist Jill Brewster demonstrate her carving skills as she works to create a new name plaques for the fishing boats, as well as have a go themselves at designing their own boat plaque and enter it into our competition.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 10 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
A selection of ships' models have been brought out of museum stores for display.
All events are included with admission ticket.