- Credit: Archant © 2012
This pub had its first listing in 1830 and has been variously called the Angel Pleasure Gardens, the New Angel and The Entertainer. The original pub sign hangs in the bar.
The pub has been run by Ian Warren for 26 years. When he took over the pub there was more competition, because there were more pubs in the immediate area, but somehow they all seemed to make a living, he said.
Some of the big game-changers over the years, he said, included the smoking ban which hit Norwich pubs especially hard, and the price supermarkets are allowed to charge for alcohol is another bugbear.
Mr Warren arrived at the pub as a tenant in 1988, and then took over the freehold a few years later.
He's looking forward to the third City of Ale event in Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
96 Angel Road,
Telephone: 01603 427490,
Monday 11.00 – 24.00
Tuesday 11.00 – 24.00
Wednesday 11.00 – 24.00
Thursday 11.00 – 24.00
Friday 11.00 – 24.00
Saturday 11.00 – 01.00
Sunday 12.00 – 23.30
(No entry after 23.00)