Acclaim for Norwich architects Feilden+Mawson behind Europe’s top construction college
- Credit: Archant
All-round acclaim greeted the official opening of the third phase of an award-winning £27m masterplan for the redevelopment of the National Construction College in West Norfolk.
Praise heaped upon the project was music to the ears of Emily Barnston partner at Norwich architects Feilden+Mawson, who is leading the Bircham Newton campus design team. The internationally-renowned college is the largest provider of construction training in Europe.
The newest phase, opened by North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham, has seen the provision of 120 state-of-the-art accommodation rooms for students attending residential courses.
Ms Barnston said: 'It is fantastic to see the third block now in place. Feilden+Mawson is delighted the college and the county can now boast world-class facilities which are the envy of colleges everywhere.'
'F+M has prepared plans for the next phase – a new student services building and sports hall, which will form the fourth side of a square. I'm really looking forward to seeing the quadrangle completed.'
You may also want to watch:
Andy Walder, director of the college which trains thousands of people for work in the construction industry, one of the most vital sectors of the UK economy, was delighted by the quality of work at the former World War 2 airfield.
'These buildings make for an excellent accommodation and studying environment and I hope they encourage more people to opt to study construction here at the NCC in Bircham Newton,' he said.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 4 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 5 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 6 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
In July, Feilden+Mawson won the non-residential section of the 2013 Norfolk Association of Architects Craftsmanship Award for the quality of its work in designing the NCC's accommodation blocks. Judges said the work was 'well executed and coordinated…both in specification and execution.'
For more information on the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce and their business to business exhibition, visit www.edp24.co.uk/business/norfolk-chamber-of-commerce or www.norfolkchamber.co.uk.