11 things to do in south Norfolk this weekend
- Credit: Nick Butcher
There is always a lot going on in south Norfolk. Here are just a few ideas of what to do and where to go this Bank Holiday Weekend (August 26-28).
1. Learn to scythe at a workshop at Wymondham Abbey from 10am to 2pm on Saturday, just like Ross Poldark from the BBC show. Costs £10, Call 01953 607062 to book.
2. Wymondham's Green Dragon pub is hosting its annual beer festival from Friday, 5pm to Monday. There will be more than 50 beers and ciders, live music, a barbecue and pizzas.
3. There will be an 'Inspired by nature' art exhibition at Redgrave and Lopham Fen from Saturday to Monday. Entry is free and tea and cakes will be available.
4. The eight-piece Mavrix Band will play the Diss Corn Hall on Saturday from 8pm playing ska, Americana, tex-mex, blues and rock. Call 01379 652241 for tickets.
You may also want to watch:
5. Harleston's family fun day takes place on Monday, with vintage cars and tractors from across the region on display. There will be rides, stalls and games at the recreation ground.
6. Attleborough's White Lode is having a mini-beer festival all weekend with a extra ales, charity raffle and face painting. There will be live music on Sunday from 3pm.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 7 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 8 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
7. The Oaksmere Hotel in Eye will host a performance of Jane Austen's Emma on August 27 at 4pm. The DOT Productions show is part of a touring celebration of Austen.
8. The Swan Hotel in Harleston is having a live music weekend starting Friday with Eva Black at 8.30pm. There will be blues, Latin, country and more. Ends Monday 6.30pm.
9. Children's author and political cartoonist Chris Riddell will host a free talk and drawing session at Attleborough Library on Saturday 2pm-4pm, call 01953 45319.
10. Grasmere Social Club presents Music by the Mere in Diss on Saturday 6.30pm-9.30pm featuring the band Zoom! Tickets are £7 and visitors can bring chairs and picnics.
11. There will be a free tea party in Attleborough's Queen's Square on Saturday from 1pm to 4pm, featuring a bake-off contest with age groups seven-11, 11-16 and 16+.
EXTRA EVENT: From Saturday to Monday 10am-4pm (Sunday 1pm-4pm) Old Buckenham Methodist Church will be holding a 'Disney Movie' themed Flower Festival. As well as the flower displays there will be activities, music, Disney memorabilia and refreshments. Entry is free and there is ample parking.