July 28 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
A rethink over proposals for celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s new restaurant in Norwich has led to revised plans being lodged.
Plans for Jamie’s Italian Kitchen in the Royal Arcade, in the former Waterstone’s bookshop, were approved by the city council’s planning committee last September.
Work on the restaurant started months ago, but revised plans have now been submitted, which will cut the number of covers the restaurant can offer each day.
As work has gone on, it has been deemed that it will not be viable to bring the basement in the Grade II* listed building back into use.
And, according to documents lodged with the city council by Jamie’s Kitchen’s agents, London-based Firstplan, that means the layout of the restaurant will have to change.
Jane Gleeson, director of Firstplan, described the alterations as “minor” and said they will cause no further impact on the building than the previously approved application would.
But it will mean the restaurant will not be able to serve so many customers each day, with the number of covers reduced from the original 284 to 258.
An opening date for the Norwich restaurant has yet to be confirmed, but bosses said they hoped to be open this summer.
There are currently 27 Jamie’s Italiam Kitchen restaurants in the UK.
Visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/what-s-on/restaurant-reviews for reviews of Norwich’s restaurants.