Wroxham 1, Needham Market 1

PUBLISHED: 12:44 09 January 2013 | UPDATED: 12:44 09 January 2013

Wroxham picked up their first point of 2013 with a draw at home to Needham Market on Saturday.

Manager David Batch again made changes to his starting line-up in a bid to find a winning formula following the New Year’s Day defeat to AFC Sudbury.

He persevered with a 4-5-1 formation, but Matt Blake came in for Ben Thompson and skipper Gavin Lemmon was back after suspension, with Ben Lewis returning at right-back.

After a quiet opening to the game, Wroxham went close to opening the scoring on 23 minutes. Blake worked his way into the box on the left before delivering a low cross which found Ross Durrant at the far post and his pile-driver produced a fine save from Louis Johnson in the Needham goal.

The Yachtsmen went close again when a free-kick taken by Remy Gordon almost went in as Needham’s Phil Boyland got his head on the ball but it went just wide for a Wroxham corner.

Another Gordon free-kick beat the Needham wall but Johnson saved easily.

Almost straight away the visitors broke to the other end and Rhys Henry, on loan from Leiston, got in a cross which hit Wroxham centre-back Josh Carus on the arm and referee John Steel awarded a penalty. Former Wroxham player Danny Bloomfield stepped up to take the spot-kick and sent Michael Hilton the wrong way to give the Marketmen the lead on 26 minutes.

Wroxham were not behind for long, as three minutes later Blake played a fine cross field pass to Durrant, who ran on to fire a low shot past Johnson into the bottom corner.

After further pressure from the visitors the home side came close to scoring a second on 42 minutes when Carus’ header from a corner was fumbled by the ’keeper but he recovered to make a brave save as Carus tried to force the rebound home.

In the second half, Blake headed just wide from a corner and Ben Jones was denied in a one-on-one with the keeper.

The game was stopped for a few minutes after Durrant was clattered by Needham’s left back Matt Redgrave.

On 75 minutes a shot from Blake took a deflection and looped on to the top of the net for a corner which again brought no reward.

The visitors’ best chance fell to substitute Duane Wright but his shot sailed over.

Gavin Lemmon had a chance to win the game for Wroxham on 86 minutes, but his half volley from just outside the area was well saved by Johnson.

• Wroxham: Hilton, Lewis, Gordon, Halliday, Carus, A Eastaugh, Durrant, Lemmon, Blake (Thompson 90+4), Jones, Daniels (Forshaw 56). Subs not used: McNeil, Harty, Speller.

Latest from the EDP


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Sport



max temp: 4°C

min temp: 4°C

Show Job Lists