Wisbech’s Ogbonna hits hat-trick to down Gorleston

PUBLISHED: 15:35 24 September 2012 | UPDATED: 15:42 24 September 2012

Action from Wisbech Town's 3-2 win over Gorleston at Emerald Park on Saturday. Picture: James Bass

Action from Wisbech Town's 3-2 win over Gorleston at Emerald Park on Saturday. Picture: James Bass

(C) James Bass 2012

A Dubi Ogbonna hat-trick saw Wisbech claim all three points at Emerald Park on Saturday as Gorleston slipped to their second defeat in a row.

Gorleston took the lead in the sixth minute when Gary Williams’ free-kick found Chris Sandford, who rose highest to head the ball over the keeper into the net.

Ogbonna soon levelled matters though after outpacing Eddie Thompson before finishing well and he grabbed his second before half-time after Gorleston failed to clear a corner.

It was effectively game over two minutes into the second half when Ogbonna got his third after running through a static Greens defence.

Gorleston did manage to pull one back through Christy Finch but it was too little, too late.

Norwich United cruised to a 3-0 win at home against Felixstowe & Walton thanks to a ruthless finishing display. After a goalless first half the match sprung to life in the 56th minute when George Wilson struck from close range after Steve Harley’s shot had crashed against the bar. Harley made it 2-0 in the 70th minute with a fine finish and Wilson sealed all three points late on after latching on to a Harley cross.

Kirkley & Pakefield got their season back on track with a 3-1 win over Wivenhoe at Walmer Road.

Jack Herbert put the Royals in front midway through the first half with a header and Dominic Smith made it 2-0 shortly before half-time.

Michael Tacon grabbed a third after Smith’s initial effort had been saved before Wivenhoe gained a consolation late on through Reece Keating. One sour note for Kirkley was the red card for striker Ryan Crisp for dissent.

Thetford slipped to a 4-2 defeat at Hadleigh on Saturday as they struggle to adapt to life in the Premier Division.

After going 3-0 down they managed to pull a goal back from the penalty spot through Tom Cusack.

Cusack then had the chance just before half-time to make it 3-2 after a Hadleigh player handled inside the box but this time his effort from 12 yards was saved. Hadleigh got a fourth in the second half through Josiah to all but seal the three points. Bruno Tavares pulled one back late on to put a gloss on the scoreline for Thetford.

Diss are still searching for their first win of the season after going down to a 3-0 defeat at Godmanchester.

In Division One a debut goal from Tom Markham helped Great Yarmouth Town secure their second consecutive win away to March Town United. Markham’s strike five minutes from half-time cancelled out Lewis Thompson’s opener before Joe Bryanton’s first goal of the season secured the win midway through the second half.

Swaffham Town’s problems away from home continued as they went down 2-1 at Long Melford despite Joe Jackson giving them the lead in the first half.

Newmarket and Fakenham fought out a thrilling 4-4 draw while Downham claimed all three points with a 4-1 rout of Debenham LC.

Latest from the EDP


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Sport

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 2°C

Show Job Lists