Thurlow Nunn round-up: Thompson at the double as Planters maintain perfect start

06:43 25 August 2014

Robbie Harris was at the double in Fakenham

Robbie Harris was at the double in Fakenham's win over Haverhill Rovers.

© Archant Norfolk 2013

Norwich United kept up their 100 per cent winning start to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season with a 4-0 win over Whitton United.

The Planters, who had already seen off Felixstowe & Walton and Kirkley & Pakefield in their opening two league games, simply had too much for United as Damian Hilton’s men swept to victory.

Ben Thompson opened the scoring in the first half and Matthew Blake put the home side thoroughly in charge before the break. An own goal ended any hopes of a Whitton comeback in the second half and Thompson grabbed his second of the afternoon to complete the scoring late on.

Fakenham Town gained their second league win of the season as they hammered Haverhill Rovers 4-1 at Clipbush Park.

The Ghosts got their noses in front midway through the first half when Stephan Harvey met Ben Boyce’s deep cross to put his side 1-0 in front. Boyce then got in on the act himself with a fine volley after being teed up by Robbie Harris. It was all but game over in the 68th minute when Harris headed home Fakenham’s third although Haverhill pulled one back shortly after from the penalty spot through Dalton O’Brien. It was Fakenham who had the final say though with Harris getting his second in injury time, following up Ben Boyce’s shot to ram the ball home.

An injury-time Ali McKenna goal gave Gorleston all three points against Mildenhall at Emerald Park. The visitors hit the front on the stroke of half-time when Allicion Blake struck but Bradley Hough levelled just before the hour-mark. Blake restored Mildenhall’s lead only for Hough to equalise again. It looked like the points would be shared until McKenna struck deep into stoppage time, notching his 50th goal for the Greens in the process.

Kirkley & Pakefield continued their recent resurgence with a 2-1 win over Wivenhoe.

Kyle Baker put the Royals in front in the 63rd minute from the penalty spot after he had been brought down but the Essex outfit equalised through Tim Dennis. However, three minutes before full-time Jack Herbert headed home to make it three wins in a row for Jamie Godbold’s men.

Walsham-le-Willows were beaten 4-2 at Felixstowe & Walton whilst Thetford were beaten 2-1 by Ipswich Wanderers, who top the table. James Dean got the Brecklanders’ goal.

Diss had an afternoon to forget as they were hammered 6-0 at Stanway Rovers.

In the First Division King’s Lynn Reserves saw off their AFC Sudbury counterparts 2-0 whilst Dereham Reserves were held to a 3-3 draw against Braintree Reserves.

Great Yarmouth Town were beaten 2-0 at Haverhill Borough whilst Downham got their first point of the season in a 1-1 draw against Woodbridge.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Eastern Daily Press visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Eastern Daily Press staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Eastern Daily Press account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest from the EDP


Most Read Sport

Most Commented Sport



max temp: 12°C

min temp: 10°C


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the EDP
digital edition


Newsletter Sign Up