Ryan Walsh’s waiting game is almost over as British title bid beckons
PUBLISHED: 11:13 22 September 2015 | UPDATED: 11:13 22 September 2015
Archant Norfolk 2015
The waiting game is almost over for Norfolk boxer Ryan Walsh as he stands within one fight of achieving a dream – and making boxing history.
The 29-year-old heads to Wembley on Saturday for a showdown with Hull’s Samir Mouneimne, with the vacant British featherweight title at stake.
The domestic belt is the Holy Grail for boxers – twin Liam has the super-featherweight version and if Ryan joins him, they will be the first twins to hold the belts at the same time.
But Ryan has had to be patient after suffering the effects of a previous British title challenge almost two years ago when he emerged with much credit from a 12-round points defeat to Lee Selby. Since then, few have wanted to touch him because of the danger he poses.
But once Josh Warrington vacated, Walsh was finally given his opportunity – and it is not one plans on wasting.
“I have worked too hard not to win this,” he said.
“It is everything. I cannot afford a second slip up. It has been a long time coming and I cannot wait.
“It is almost two years since I fought for the title and I have had two fights since then. It has been a long wait, but it has almost worked out better. Liam said we couldn’t have made history the night I fought Selby, we can only make it on this night. So maybe that was the reason.”