Wymondham pair miss out in charity tournament

From left: Jo Tubby, Lesley Penniket, Jo Watkins and Jean Eagle. From left: Jo Tubby, Lesley Penniket, Jo Watkins and Jean Eagle.

Dan Wynne
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
1:09 PM

The eighth annual Ladies’ Doubles Charity Tennis Tournament – held in memory of Louise Willgrass, who died in the 2004 tsunami which devastated parts of southern Thailand – took place at East Anglia Tennis & Squash Club.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The day dawned cool and breezy with plenty of rain clouds threatening, but 16 pairs of ladies competed in a forward/backward draw, concluding just as the rain descended. The final was a contest between Wymondham’s Jo Tubby and Jean Eagle and Stanmore’s Lesley Penniket and Jo Watkins.

A rain-interrupted final saw the Stanmore pair win 6-2, a step up from second place last year for Jo Watkins. They were presented with bouquets supplied by Libby Ferris Flowers. A raffle was held at lunchtime with prizes donated by, amongst others, Vanilla and Libby Ferris Flowers.

The tournament helped to raise £600 for CRUSE Norwich, a bereavement counselling service in Redwell Street, Norwich.

Meanwhile, Norfolk Men’s Over-65s will be hoping for better things in the future after finishing a mixed season with victory over Cambridge – with neither side able to be promoted or relegated.

Barker, Armstrong and Winter continued their ruthless doubles record, Huggins won another third-set tie-break and the match was won 3-2.

The Over-65s campaign had begun against Sussex, who included the world number 37, Chris Ornstein, in their ranks.

Ornstein won his singles and doubles comfortably and Norfolk lost 4-1. Mike Huggins won his singles after his opponent withdrew in the final set. But at home against Gloucestershire, Norfolk came through a vital match 3-2.

Huggins won his singles again and Tony Edelsten, who plays for the O70 team, came in for one match and guided Tony Spurgeon through the all-important first doubles; they won an excruciating third-set tie-break which saved the day, and the season, for Norfolk.

Against Avon, Norfolk typically won two third-set tie-breaks, Spurgeon carrying on his success record, this time with Lyndon Barker, in the first round. Barker and Charles Armstrong then thrashed the Avon first pair 6-1, 6-0. Norfolk dropped just one rubber and ended up 4-1 winners. Against Middlesex, Mike Huggins had to play at first singles after an injury to Jeremy Cameron. Despite playing up the order he was narrowly beaten 10-8 in the third-set tie-break. Middlesex proved far too strong from top to bottom and Norfolk were beaten without gaining a rubber.